Wednesday, June 3, 2009

You Can't Stop the Inevitable.

"Change. We don’t like it. We fear it, but we can’t stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. It hurts to grow. Anybody who tells you it doesn’t is lying. But here’s the truth: sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, oh, sometimes change is good. Sometimes change ... is everything."

Change is something that I feel like I have been dealing with constantly for the past year. I am at a point in my life where I am constantly having to make decisions that have a domino effect for change. BUT I have learned this, even as hard as change is, it is usually for the best. I have had to deal with the change of graduating college and leaving behind a life I have become so comfortable with. I have had to experience the change of moving even further away from home to a new place where a don't know many people. I dealt with the change of being unemployed for eight weeks (not fun) and then with the change of adjusting to a new job. I have learned to enjoy the change of getting new roommates and making new friends. About a month ago I made the decision that I needed to move somewhere that I felt in the long run would be good for me. I decided to move back to college housing and live in BYU Housing. I know this may sound dramatic to some, but it seemed to be one of those decisions that I made at a crossroads, needing to decide the best direction for me to go at this point in my life. It was really hard leaving my roommates, because I don't think I have had any others I have felt that comfortable and gotten along so well with, but I guess change happens the most when we get feeling really adjusted. So last weekend I packed up all my things and moved to the Hampstead Apartments for the summer, and then I plan on moving again at the end of August to the Kensington Apartments. (I promise, moving is NOT my favorite thing to do.)

It is a change to have to go from living in your own bedroom that is set up just the way you like it, to living out of boxes.

It is sad to see the change that takes place when you are looking at your empty bedroom and apartment.


It is quite a change to go from sleeping on your comfortable queen sized bed in your own room, to sharing a room where you have a twin sized bed on cinder blocks (Let me just insert that I am making up for the fact that I never lofted my bed on cinder blocks in college. But I do appreciate the extra storage space it creates!)

Change makes us feel uncomfortable, but without it, how would we ever grow in the ways we need to. I am actually really excited about the changes that are in front of me. I love my new ward and am enjoying getting to know more people. I love that it now takes me five minutes to get to work. I can now come home for lunch and get in a 30 minute nap if I want! (Which I have taken advantage of 3 out of the 4 days I have had to work since living here.) It is definitely new meeting in the Clyde Building on campus for church, and it seems even more new to me that there is a periodic chart of the elements on the wall of the lecture hall where we have sacrement meeting. Living with students, however, is helping me appreciate that I am done with school. I don't envy the hours of homework they have to do. I enjoy that my time is my own! All in all, change is something that we are often scared of and try and avoid, but it inevitable and in the long run not always bad. I am excited to see what this new change has is store for me!

4 comments:

Regs said...

Change is hard. Starting over again is hard. But it definitely leads to growth. Amen to that. Good luck with all of your changes you're making! Miss you!

KFinley said...

Change is the only constant...

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude! Good luck living with college students and sharing a room - I don't know if I could ever do that again! [P.S. Marriage doesn't count!]

The Nielson Family said...

I would agree, moving is the worst. I hope I can see you sometime this week!!!

suzanne said...

I will admit that I got a little misty reading your post. You are such an example of faith. You are stepping into the dark and trusting that the Lord is in charge. He is. I'm so proud of you!!